Happy summer OPB families!
We are very excited to finalize this year’s neighborhood transportation so that we can all begin this school year in a safe and efficient manner. We will be reaching out to you very soon with details about the final part of registration for the New Eastside’s Ogden Pay Bus for the 2017-18 school year. Details regarding final payment amount and instructions as to how to make that payment will be sent via email in the next week or so, just as soon as the parent volunteers can sew up loose ends and conclude final arrangements, to make this final process run as smoothly as possible.
To those families that were placed on the waiting list, there will NOT be a second bus. We’ve contacted the school administration, reached out to all of the management offices of buildings in our neighborhood, and did everything we could to drum up enough advertisement/interest for the 2017-18 school year, but the response was lower than we’d hoped and we simply do not have the numbers to contract for a second bus. For those families left in this predicament after missing the initial deadline, we wish that the outcome could be different, but we are at our limit of riders for one bus and no further exceptions will be made.
Considering the 9 years of valuable learning experience of many of the OPB parent volunteers, while witnessing the challenges arising due to having more than 2 children per seat, we are NOT willing to take any risks with overcrowding. Safe, comfortable and timely transportation to and from the two campuses are paramount, and we will not compromise on any of these principles. This is non-negotiable, for the well-being of our children and the peace of mind of all OPB families.
The determination of maximum limit of students per school bus is based on our experiences in the past and situations of overcrowding we have witnessed in the past, including children and their bags crushed into a seat or children continually falling off into the aisle as the bus moves etc. Though the theoretical capacity stated on the bus seems quite large, in practice however it is very hard to comfortably fit more than two children to a seat, especially considering their larger book-filled backpacks, school projects and other personal items they must carry on any given day, as well as the need to accommodate children of different sizes, heights/leg-spans and ages comfortably. Ensuring a safe and comfortable ride for our children that takes these factors into account while organizing a group bus to fit various bell schedules, campuses and after-school activities has been a challenging task.
If you were too late to register for this year’s service, we are happy to refer you to the list of certified vendors (that we have worked with or called in the past to help us with the OPB routes) and other transportation options below. We hope this list is helpful with your own research. If you are trying to start your own group transportation, you might consider contracting a mini-bus through a certified CPS vendor below, depending on age/size of the children … we have found that children around the 4th/5th grade and up average over 5 feet tall and thus considered the size of an “adult,” especially with their back-packs, so you might want to keep that in mind when calculating bus size/seating, depending on the ages of the riders you need to accommodate):
Alltown Bus Services – (847) 674-0090
AM Bus Company – (773) 396-5556
Ammons Transportation – (773) 874-7777
BJ’s Transportation – (773) 238-4535
Sunrise Bus Services – (773) 378-1800
You can also check out the CPS Department of Transportation website for other questions about legal providers and guidelines for vendors.
OTHER PRIVATE RIDE SHARING OPTIONS:
Hello OPB Families!
All of the parent volunteers wish to thank the families that submitted their applications and deposits in by the deadline of June 9th. Every year, there is a certain element of the “unknown” in terms of rider numbers, as many students move on to other schools, move out of the neighborhood, and new families move into the neighborhood over the summer. At this point, due to a large drop in registration for the Ogden Pay Bus, WE NO LONGER HAVE THE RIDERSHIP TO SUSTAIN A SECOND BUS.
So here is the current situation:
1. Those families that turned in their registration and deposits by June 14th will have a spot on the single Bus that will operate between the two campus and our neighborhood. That service will also include the 5 pm after-school route between the two campuses and our neighborhood stops. THIS BUS IS NOW FILLED TO ITS CAPACITY.
This does mean a slight alteration to the afternoon dismissal pick up. At dismissal, the bus will first go to collect the West Campus students (who have an earlier dismissal time in the afternoon), proceed to the East Campus to collect those students, and then return all the students, together, to our neighborhood stops. Based on previous experiences with a single bus service for our neighborhood, this may add an additional 10 to 15 minutes to the return trip. All other bus routes and times will remain the same as before.
2. This Bus is now at full capacity, and no new students can be added because of the bus safety regulations set forth by the bus company, CPS and the State of Illinois. No exceptions can be made.
3. Families that did NOT turn in their registration and deposits by June 14th, but are still interested in using the OBP (Ogden Pay Bus) Service, have two options:
Option 1: You may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and be placed on a waiting list. In order to sustain a second bus and keep costs between $1300-$1500, WE MUST GET AT LEAST 20 MORE STUDENTS. IF we reach 20 new registrants by July 25th, we will attempt to re-negotiate the contract with the bus company to make arrangements for a second bus and will inform you by early August if this is an option.
Option 2: You can forgo the OPB waiting list altogether and we can refer you to other bus companies so that you can arrange your own transportation. Those recommendations will be listed on the blog, to help you in doing your own research. Please remember that all transportation options must be legally vetted CPS Transportation vendors. We will provide you with the names and numbers of these companies, to make your search for transportation easier. Taxi, Limousine, Uber and Lyft are also viable options as well, especially if you find parents in similar situations within the neighborhood and wish to ride-share. Check the blog at https://ogdenpaybus.wordpress.com/bus-schedule-contact-numbers/ for those helpful resources. (Please scroll to the bottom of the blog to find information on transportation options)
All of the OPB Volunteers wish to thank everyone who submitted their applications and deposits. More information about final cost per rider, the final part of Registration and other information will be released the first week in August for the OBP families that have made their deposit payments already.
We wish you a safe and wonderful Summer Holiday!
The Ogden Pay Bus Volunteers
As the 2016-17 school year winds down, we need to take care of some important business – giving you a refund! After calculating final payments (new families moved into the neighborhood after our initial registration, bringing our collective cost per student down), we are happy to announce that disbursements will be available to pick up:
Monday, June 19
Top floor of Village Market escalators
This year’s disbursement amount for each student is $75! This brings the final per student annual cost to approximately $1325, or $7.35 per school day (Students who joined after school began and paid a prorated total will receive a prorated amount back.)
If you are unable to attend the scheduled pick up time, please ask a trusted friend or family member to do so on your behalf. We want you to receive your money back in a timely manner!
Dear New Eastside Ogden Families –
We are looking to renew our contract with Ai Bus Service for the 2017-2018 school year to provide bus service from our neighborhood to Ogden East and West campuses.
Ai will provide the same service as last year (depending on # of children enrolling):
- A single bus in the morning to drop off West Campus students leaving the neighborhood at 7:00 AM and returning to drop off East Campus students starting around 8:00 AM.
- A separate bus to pick up West Campus students after dismissal, and
- A separate bus that will pick up and drop off East Campus students. This bus will also provide a “late” pickup at West campus at 5:00 PM, which proceeds to East campus before heading back to the neighborhood one final time.
As you are aware, the cost per student for this bus service will be determined by dividing the total cost of the service by the number of students who are signed up to ride the bus. The cost per student can range anywhere from $1300 to $1500 per student. This is still the most economical, reliable and convenient means of transporting your children to school and back.
If you are planning to have your child/children ride this bus to school for the upcoming school year:
- Print and complete the application form:
NEW 2017_18 OPB Application Form in PDF Format or NEW 2017_18 OPB Application Form in Doc Format.
- Print, read and sign a copy of the rules and regulations, which are pages 2 and 3 of the application form. Please note that a hard copy of the application MUST be turned in. Digital copies cannot be accepted. Parents who fill out this application DO NOT need to fill out the 5pm West Campus After School Activity Shuttle application, too. OPB Students automatically qualify to ride that 5pm shuttle bus.
- Submit all three pages of the application along with a non-refundable deposit of $500 PER STUDENT in the form of a cashier’s check or money order made payable to Ai Bus Services. No personal checks will be accepted.
- Please drop off completed application, $500 cashier check/Money Order and $10 CASH (please put in envelope and make sure it’s attached to documentation) with the doorman at 450 East Waterside Drive, addressed to to Maya Tatineni, Unit 908 by June 9th.
We need your commitment by June 9th at the latest in order to secure this service for next year. If you know of other families who are considering this service, please pass on this information.
Seats will be reserved on a first come first served basis. Having more families commit early will also help us to lower the total cost per student. Total cost per student will be determined after June 8th. A follow up date to pay the remainder of the fees will be set sometime in August before the start of school.
Thank you for your cooperation!
A paid bus shuttle service will be offered from Ogden West Campus to East Campus for the upcoming 2017-2018 school year. This shuttle will depart Ogden West Campus at 5:00 PM every school day, and proceed to the East Campus for final drop off.
This new Shuttle is part of a bus service organized by parent volunteers from the New Eastside neighborhood and is being offered to any West Campus Ogden student who wishes to ride for $400 for the entire academic year.
Students from the New Eastside neighborhood who are already paying for the OPB (Ogden Pay Bus) service will be automatically eligible to ride the shuttle at no additional fee, so they DO NOT need to fill out this application, too.
THERE ARE ONLY 20 SEATS AVAILABLE on this new 5pm After School Activity Shuttle. The sign-up/payment deadline is June 9th, 2017.
If you have a west campus student who is looking to participate in after school activities for the upcoming school year and would like to avail of this service, please print the Registration Form and follow the directions below:
- Print and complete the Registration/Application form linked above.
- Read and sign a copy of the rules and regulations, which are pages 2 and 3 of the application form.
- Submit all three pages of the application along with a non-refundable payment of $400 PER STUDENT in the form of a cashier’s check or money order made payable to Ai Bus Services. No personal checks will be accepted.
- Please drop off completed application and payments with the doorman at 450 East Waterside Drive, addressed to Maya Tatineni, Unit 908 by June 9th.SEATS ON THIS 5PM AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITY BUS WILL BE RESERVED ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVED BASIS. If you have any questions, please email us at: Ogdenpaybus@gmail.com
Here is the 2017-2018 Application Form:
NEW 2017_18 OPB Application Form in PDF Format
NEW 2017_18 OPB Application Form in Word/Doc Format
For Ogden West Campus Families only interested in your child riding on the new 5PM After School Activity Shuttle, your application and registration information can be found HERE.
If you’re new to our blog and would like to learn more about the OPB routes or other information, click HERE.